World Travel Awards: Portugal snatches 12 "Academy" world tourism awards.
Tourism was one of the sectors that suffered most from the Covid-19 pandemic. However, despite various setbacks, it is important to reveal who were the big winners of the World Travel Awards (WTA), known as the "Academy" world tourism awards. This year, Portugal conquered 12 awards.
The highlight goes to the Algarve, to Madeira and to the Passadiços do Paiva, which were elected, respectively, Best Beach World Destination, Best Island Destination and Best Adventure Tourism Attraction.
The Conrad Algarve was distinguished for being considered the Best Luxury and Leisure Resort in the world, while L'AND Vineyards in Montemor-o-Novo won the title of Best Wine Tourism Hotel.
TAP, in turn, won two WTA: the "Academy award" for the leading company in flights from Africa to South America.
Below is the list of the 12 awards won by Portugal. It should be noted, as a curiosity, that the award for best destination was given to the Maldives.
- Adventure Tourism Attraction: Passadiços do Paiva (Arouca UNESCO Global Geopark)
- Airline to Africa: TAP Air Portugal
- Airline to South America: TAP Air Portugal
- Beach Destination: Algarve
- Island Destination: Madeira
- Responsible Tourism Award: Dark Sky Alqueva
- Classic Hotel: Olissipo Lapa Palace Hotel, in Lisbon
- Luxury beach & lifestyle resort: Pestana Porto Santo All Inclusive
- Luxury leisure resort: Conrad Algarve
- Wine region hotel: L'AND Vineyards
- Best conservation company: Parques de Sintra - Monte da Lua
- Best Boutique Hotel Operator: Amazing Evolution
Click on this link to find out who all the WTA winners were.